Saturday, April 21, 2012

Visiting those fancy Russian Arabians again - Eye candy... or not - Do not read if you don't like Arabians


My photographer friend Michi and I visited Gut Alemich this morning. They'd advertised locally "affordable" horses for sale for show and endurance. I wanted to know what affordable means to them, and it means 5-6K euro. But we just had to go - they are the prettiest Arabians in the area and I wanted Michi to see them.



It wasn't a sham, I am still seeking a horse, but we did not accept coffee and tea - that would have been too much to ask.

Again, the place is stunning - flowers everywhere, and staff making sure everything is perfect, the stalls pristine, and the manes and tails of each of their 40 horses combed. Michi and I both noted the profuse use of straw in the stalls - the horses were up to their knees in it, every single stall. The owner lamented that our photos would not turn out because the horses are so scruffy in their Winter coats. I think they'll be just fine (but I did gimp mine because mine are pathetic in comparison to Michi's which I hope to receive soon!). (Update - I got a few from her - they're the good ones here with her name on them.)

I was curious - most of all - about the bay filly who just turned three and I'd seen her as a two year old.

But first she showed me a grey gelding started under saddle for 3500E. Affordable for me, but unfortunately he's under 15 hands - a little too small for me. He has great legs and the best face of the three we were shown today. (High in the knee/hock is the only fault I see in his legs - what do you see?) I'm starting to see a pattern that a saddle broke gelding will be much cheaper than an unbroke filly. Hm.


Here's the stallion again named Fantast - one of their champions. I like the fachwerk birdfeeder - I have always wanted one!

He's a Nagadir son - Nagadir is one of their oldest stallions and my favorite. If only I'd had the chance to catch a photo of him! He is a bay with a golden sheen to his coat like an Ahkal-Teke. I'd never seen that in an Arabian before. The bay filly Kiara that I like has it too, but you cannot see it in the photos.

Here's the pedigree of the chestnut 2 year old filly they showed us. She's 6K euros. When I walked up to her I was amazed, her withers come up to my eyes - Baasha is at my chin and he's 15HH. I cannot say for sure but I think that puts her at 15.3 at 2 years old. Good heavens. She reminds me of Mikael's horses - very long legs, long stifles, and very typy. She floats around just like Mikael's Reflection (with legs so long he's got eternal youth!).
























Here is Kiana and I have a printout of her pedigree but no picture of her stall plaque: ( Handing out copies of pedigrees and registration papers to potential buyers - very nice!

She has an ice tail - is that what we call it?

She is a very unphotogenic horse - according to Michi and proven by my crappy photos. She carries herself upside down and doesn't like to show off like the others.


She's very nice - straight russian, 3 years old, a grandaughter of Nagadir and I met the father, who is one of those extremely sturdy looking Russian Arabians that I love. I'd love to see the mother but she's out on a breeding lease.


She has better legs than the chestnut but a longer back and less type.

She floats over the ground, but didn't want to go in that wet paddock to show us.







Here are some of the materials the owner gave us about her horses. I've already shown you her farm brochure in another blog entry but this is new - it's a packet of photos of their broodmares (and some others) and the backside of each has the pedigree.




Some of their horses have the biggest eyes I've ever seen - it's kind of freaky. We were shown one grey stallion with the extremist face I'd ever seen. Michi said OH MY GOD when she saw him and I was right there with her. Most classic head class, he'd win it. I didn't catch his name but he's already a champion. He had the biggest eyes, tiniest muzzle, most extreme dish, tiniest ears, omygosh he was something. If only I had a photo of him!

Before we left we took some photos of random horses in their paddocks. I was happy to see horses going out in shifts all day even though it was hailing at times. I love this blueroan grey stage this filly has. If only she'd stay this color!


The lighter one is the gelding I was shown. I wonder why they cannot seem to find halters that fit Arabians!


I had to get a photo of Kilimandscharo's stall. I asked when he died and the head groom said "Der Kili" died in the 90s. So cute, that nickname! I am only 20 years too late to see that amazing horse. At least I got to see where he lives, and touch his descendants.

17 comments:

Reddunappy said...

They are beautiful animals!
Love that pic of the bay nuzzling your hand.

Laura Crum said...

So, I am curious. Why do you feel you need a 15 hand horse? I ride a 14.3 horse and I have known many such that carried larger folks than me and stayed sound into their 20's. Mine are QH's and it may be different with Arabs. As you might expect, ALL the Arabs look very fragile to me. But very pretty, too. I like the gray gelding the best--but I know nothing about Arabs, so my opinion is worth zilch.

Dom said...

Loved scrolling through all these photos. Lovely horses. Fancy barn. Glad you took the trip.

Dom said...

Loved scrolling through all these photos. Lovely horses. Fancy barn. Glad you took the trip.

EvenSong said...

I'm not a great big fan of Arabs, but can appreciate how lovely these ones are.
I like the bay filly the best, her cannons are the most even and shortest. (The chestnuts knees are low, but her hocks way high! Seems like that worse than just long cannons all the way around, but I'm no expert.)
I like a nice refined face, but the extreme dishes don't appeal to me at all--and I've read that in some cases they actually impinge upon the breathing and sinuses.
Seems like a nice place to hang out, whether one is a horse or an Arab fan.

Crystal said...

Pretty horses! Sure is nice to go and look at pretty horses showing off!

AareneX said...

Pretty ponies, pretty ponies. No, I don't want one, but they ARE pretty!

Unknown said...

Oh my, what gorgeous horses! They all looked perfect, which is why is should never shop without an expert with me.

Eryn said...

Man, that chestnut filly is to die for, even if her hind legs are a bit straight. The long backed bay mare is nice too, even though she's not as typey but she makes up for it in movement.

Sehr schön. :D

White Horse Pilgrim said...

I'm with Laura here. The cavalry used to reckon that a horse can carry a quarter of his weight (i.e. rider plus saddle and equipment) and they used a lot of Arabians. Obviously I won't ask your weight, however you can calculate what will carry you.

It's a cultural thing about "needing" a big horse. I used to ride a robust 16.3 hand Irish Draught and - weighing 80kg - was told by experienced riders "you wouldn't really want anything smaller". That was for just simple trail riding, not hunting or jumping.

Later on I rode a 14.2 hand Huzul weighing no more than 400kg. She carried me several thousand miles.

One other thought, have you considered a Hungarian Arab? I used to own a really good little Shagya. They aren't exactly pure-bred (but neither are Polish Arabians, and who knows what is in the Russian ones?) but are good cavalry-type horses. My experience of the Central European studs is that they have some good horses, if you feel like doing some research and travelling to Hungary. Or there may be an importer in Germany.

Rising Rainbow said...

It looks like a very nice place. Did I miss details about the chestnut? I was wondering about the difference in age between that horse and the bay. I wonder if the bay is one of those horses that does their growing early or if she still has more in there. Different bloodlines do that. Some bloom early and some late. Still she's a big girl for a purebred. Is this the same filly you emailed me about??

lytha said...

I should respond to comments more lately, sorry!

Laura and WHP, I used to ride a 14.3 Quarab and she was just fine, you're right. I think that small horses can be build sturdily and give me the impression they could easily carry me all day, and others - like the dainty ones I've seen lately, I won't consider it.

Mikael, I emailed you about Wiszi, the big bay Russian mare (6 years old) that I really really like but they're asking too much money for her (more than she's worth IMO).

The bay in this post is 3, the chestnut is 2. I see crookedness in the chestnut's RF leg but I'm very bad at judging young horses - my experience is only with adults so I don't know how to predict how things might change. I need to see parents in this case.

The bay is plenty big too but hopefully won't get any *longer* lol: )

I think for those prices, for unbroke youngsters, I'd want more type in the bay, and better legs in the chestnut. Also, she's so narrow based it's frigtening (the chestnut) as if her front legs are coming out of the same spot. But amazingly, still so pretty and photogenic. But as they're straight russians, I can understand the asking prices.

I don't need such a fancy horse, but I want something that strikes me like Wiszi did, "I can handle hard work!"

I still come home and realize anew how classic Baasha is: ) I'm so grateful to have him.

HHmstead said...

Were you having fun yet?! :-) How fun to go & have a "look/see"! Beautiful animals - not all what I'd want to see in a prospect either - but more than one I might have taken home!

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

I always learned a horse can carry a fifth of his weight, and a mule can carry a quarter of his weight. that's packing. maybe it's a bit different if you're riding.
Eye candy indeed!!
- The Equestrian Vagabond

Paint Girl said...

Wow! What beautiful Arabs!! Awesome pictures! I think the chestnut is gorgeous! Well they all are!! The place is beautiful too!!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wow! Yes, wet arena indeed! I've not seen mud like that here in New Mexico for years. And even when we do get enough rain to make mud, it last less than a day or two. I can't imagine having to walk through that soupy mess or allow my horse to stand around in it. yuk!

Those horses are really stunningly beautiful. They do seem so fragile as if they are for halter and not for riding. Their bone in their legs seems so slight and thin, especially that chestnut. And their feet appear to be so tiny as if they could fit into a tea cup.

The grey seems to be of better bone and have more muscle and width. I would feel confident to ride a horse like that.
I used to be of the same mind set that a taller horse is what I had to have because I am almost 6 feet tall. I was mostly concerned about how ridiculous I might look on a shorter horse, though. My previous horse was 15.3hh and I could not mount her without a mounting block, fence rail, log or boulder...something I cannot count on having available while riding on trails in New Mexico.
My current horse is 14.3 and is perfect for me and strong enough to carry me for miles. I still use a mounting block, log, or boulder to mount if one is available, just to give her back and shoulders some relief, but I can also mount from the ground without too much trouble, too. From now on, I admire the tall...but ride the small :)

~Lisa

Achieve1dream said...

Gorgeous horses! How do they keep their stallion so clean (well besides his legs) in all that mud?? He's beautiful!

I grew up riding short horses (because that's all that was available), but since I'm 5'11" with long legs I like taller (and more specifically wider) horses. After taking dressage lessons for a year on 16hh+ horses I just don't feel like I can use my leg as efficiently on a smaller horse. It feels like my legs make contact down to the knees and then the lower part of my leg is just hanging off into space. I think that's one reason I've had trouble finding my balance on Chrome. Sometimes it feels like my knees don't even make contact!! I can't wait until he widens out some. :D