Sunday, March 5, 2017

Mag becomes the role model

Remember Nina telling me, "If you ride out with Marin and Chinook, Mag will be the role model." She also said that Marin is relatively new to horses and is a Parelli person who doesn't do it right - not sure what she meant by that.

I'm so grateful to anyone who offers to ride out with me, I had to do it.

I waited 3 hours for Marin to arrive. I thought she said 12:30 but she said 2:30 and she was late. Poor Mag had a real "grown up" horse day, I worked with him for 4 hours total.

I watched several people come and tack up and leave, including Marin's husband, which made me think she wasn't showing up. I started to get antsy that I'd saddled my horse for nothing so I went to the arena and found this girl I don't know riding a horse I'd never seen ridden before. It was clear they were having one of his first rides ever. I wanted to attach a plastic bottle to Mag's saddle and lunge him with it, and then put rocks in it. I made it to one rock before I realized that made so much noise I was going to endanger that rider. So I put the bottle away. I'll try that when we're alone in the arena next. I was glad to see Mag not reacting at all to the bottle.

Then the girl's mother, who'd been watching and smoking from the bench, snapped a lunge line on the horse and they prepared to go on a "pony ride." I said, "Can I come along? Only for a few minutes?" They said they'd only be out a few minutes, he's so young.

I asked what kind of horse he is as we headed out. I was leading Mag too cuz I wasn't quite prepared. The girl said he's a Pinto. I said, "That's a color, not a breed." She argued with me, insisting he's a Pinto.  He's part Tinker, part QH, and part Paint, so he's a Pinto. I shrugged, oh well. I definitely saw the Tinker in his hairy legs and enormous tail.

Mag walked politely behind and I chatted with the mom. "I got confused yesterday, not knowing there are two Marins." She said, "I know, I was there when Marin showed up wondering where you were."

How embarrassing.

Indeed they were taking only a 10 minute outing so we returned together.

I was amazed to see Moritz and Wolke in the grooming area, with Moritz' teenager getting him ready, and another teenager getting Wolke ready. The sun was shining at that point and they went out and had a nice ride - literally EVERYONE asked afterwards and they said the horses were fine. I remember hearing Wolke's new rider ask, "We'll go slow, right?" To which Moritz' girl said, "Yes, very slow, and relaxed, no hectic."

Amazing. (Based on the fact the ambulance took the girl away yesterday!)

I put Mag back in the grooming stall and washed his tail. I didn't want to leave in case Marin showed up.

The weather changed to windy, the sun disappeared, and I took Mag to the outdoor to ride a little. I'd only gone a few laps when Marin showed up. She came right to me and asked what I wanted to do. I said, "Well, with this storm....and to be honest I don't trust your horse yet, so I'd prefer to go out for a ride where I only ride when I see how your horse reacts, otherwise I'll lead my horse." She agreed.

She said, "This is what we'll do. If our horses are afraid of something, we will let them stand still as long as they need until they find their courage. We won't force them to pass something they're afraid of, we'll have patience." I said, "That is my philosophy too. Perfect! Because forcing them just creates even more stress for them."

She took forever, it seemed, getting Chinook ready, as Mag waiting loose in the grooming stall, pacing around anxiously watching and neighing to horses coming and going. Obviously she had no idea how long I'd been waiting for her, as she chatted with people, but it's my fault I didn't quite get the time right.

I ate my lunch of sliced eggs and cheese and I started throwing treats to Mag from where I sat, making Marin laugh.

I prepared Mag's mash for tomorrow.

Marin said, "Every time you go upstairs, wherever you go, your horse stares after you, it's so cute."

By the time she was done tacking up in her Parelli bareback pad and her side-pull (lucky horse) the storm had arrived. WHY!?

As soon as she mounted her horse kind of leaned in toward Mag and Mag immediately glared at him. Such a nasty face! I realized right then that Mag knew he was the adult and Chinook the baby, and he was telling Chinook to not get out of line. How funny! It is literally the first time I've ever ridden Mag with a younger horse and sure enough, he knew it.

J had asked me, "Do horses know how old other horses are?" I said, "I truly believe so. I try not to anthropomorphize but I believe that animals understand age/maturity instinctively." Mag took on the role of protector today, it was great to experience.

I led Mag down the trail after her and as soon as we reached that trailer with the tarp flapping in the wind, Chinook slammed to a stop. Marin just sat there giving him time and we took the chance to have a conversation about that very technique. We talked so long both horses completely chilled about that awful tarp. It was so loud!  But Mag had to lead past it, Chinook was taking way too long.

Then Chinook had to stop and observe something else, no idea what, and instead of just standing there, I led Mag off trail over several fallen trees. Some hikers walked by and I thought, "Oh please, please don't report me for breaking the law and going off trail..." and Marin just sat on Chinook watching Mag fumble over big trees and grab branches in his mouth. She said, "That is so cool, that you do that with him." I said, "I just don't wanna get busted!"

I finally got on and since it's Sunday, there were lots of users in the woods, despite the storm, because it kind of snuck up on us.

I rode side by side with Chinook so Mag wouldn't just follow and I felt Mag confidently stride out, watching both sides of the trail. I am almost positive he was taking the role of the responsible one in our group. I could be wrong.

Marin said, "Look at what your horse is doing. He's looking at everything, but he's not worried about anything. He's ENJOYING." I said, "I think so, I think you're right."

He never hesitated at any obstacle. Chinook would sometimes lean into our side of the trail, either unbalanced or seeking comfort, not sure. Or just seeking better footing, it was really, really rocky, and he's shod all around, and Mag is barefoot, how incredible to ride on those rocks and not have Mag flinch. I will sooooo miss that; when Mag comes home, our pasture is going to rob his hooves of their strength.

The great thing about Marin is she's a good conversationalist and one of those rare people who are good listeners. We passed a little Toyota truck and I said, "Cute little truck" and she said, "You American, calling that little!"

I found myself riding one handed, not worrying about anything, even in the storm. Marin said, "It's no good to just ride on calm days, you'll never be able to ride in a storm if you don't start by riding in storms." She's right.

Then she offered to give Mag a ride back home at the end of the month. She said she can't pull a trailer, but her husband can. AWESOME! I'd been worried about who to ask. I told her how stressful it was getting Mag here, how he trembled in a puddle of his own sweat, but we'd been practicing in Christina's trailer and he's loading well now. (Christina offered today to take Mag for a little drive next weekend, woo!)

At the top of the hill the wind was whipping the horses' tails horizontal. That's a lot of wind. I saw the tarp trailer in front of us and jumped off Mag's back. I loosened Mag's girth completely and took out his bit, filling his mouth with treats, praising him. Marin said, "Oh, you are so kind to him, what a nice reward, the girth!" Where I come from, we all do that. We get off, loosen our girths, and walk back to the trailer.

Mag, the grown up horse, taking care of Chinook, how cool to experience that!




Someone actually shouted at me today to stop Mag from chewing on a saddle rack. Ok, it's not cute to everyone when he chews things.

7 comments:

Camryn said...

We were just talking about horses chewing ran dome objects at the tack sale. All who do were geldings! Any news on the girl who had the wreck?

lytha said...

Camryn, How I'd love to be at a big American used tack sale *cry*

Everyone was asking the girl how her sister was, and from her tone I gather that she is recovering, but she used medical terms I don't know.

Also, when I saw her I took her aside and said, "Hey, I'd love to hear what happened from you, not now, but when you have time to talk." We'll see....

Kitty Bo said...

You will miss being at the barn, the people at the barn will miss you being there, and we, your faithful readers, will miss you being there. It is wonderful you are getting to take such good advantage of things there now.

Gosh,I wish we had a picture of you and Marin on your horses.

TeresaA said...

Yay Mags! So grown up!

AareneX said...

Look at you, doing all the adult things! So PROUD!

ellie k said...

Are you going to let Christina take Mag a little ride next week and risk scaring him all over again and maybe undo all the progress you have made? He seems to do so well now with the trailer. I am glad you have someone to drive him home.

lytha said...

KB, I want a pic! I'll start attaching my camera to my saddle every ride and hopefully it will work out. I thought of a funny way of judging gadgets yesterday. If your horse were to fall in a lake, would it drown or would it be able to get its nose up to breathe? Standing martingale no, running martingale yes. : ) But in this analogy draw reins are also OK cuz the horse could breathe assuming the rider doesn't fall in the lake too, and refuse to let go of the draw reins *lol*

Ellie, Don't worry, I won't let anyone "parelli" him into a trailer. That method may be the most fun for the audience, but not as much for the horse. Sadly I know it will scare Mag to be locked in and driven off with, but it has to happen eventually. If only I could convince these law-abiding people to let me ride back there with him! That's what I'd do back home.